Building Resilience in the Eastern Neighbourhood (BREN)
Years active: 2021-present
BREN supports civil society and women’s rights organisations in Eastern Neighbourhood countries.
The BREN project, delivered by IWPR in partnership with the Global Network of Women Peacebuilders (GNWP), is designed to build the resilience of CSOs to promote human security, peace and stability in the Eastern Neighbourhood countries, focused on women and other marginalised groups.
Societies in the South Caucasus and Moldova face a range of systemic internal and external threats, including protracted conflicts leading to internally displaced people. These conflicts have a disproportionate impact on women and other marginalised groups, yet their voices are often excluded in security and stabilisation processes.
The BREN project builds on IWPR and GNWP’s regional experience to support these excluded voices and build resilience among civil society (CSO) and women’s rights organisations (WRO) to foster peace, security and stability for all. In the past year, GNWP conducted an in-depth analysis of peacebuilding processes and women’s organisations across the Eastern Neighbourhood to inform BREN’s approach.
The BREN project is designed to:
- Strengthen the effectiveness of CSOs, including WROs, to counter the drivers of conflict, instability, and insecurity; and
- Establish an environment where state actors ensure better access to justice for CSOs and recognise their legitimacy in strategic planning on peace and security overall.
The project activities include:
- Awarding grants to CSOs and WROs to support projects to increase the participation of women in the peace and security processes across the region, and to improve legal frameworks to protect the rights of LGBTQI+ groups, ethnic and religious minorities in Georgia. In addition, a Rapid Response Mechanism will provide grants to Moldovan organisations for conflict prevention, community recon- ciliation, and relief and recovery;
- Providing technical assistance through training and mentoring to build the capacity and strengthen the resilience of CSOs and WROs; and
- Facilitating sustained multi-stakeholder national and regional networks and engagement, including among CSOs and WROs, government, media, and other influential individuals and entities.
Building Resilience Across the Eastern Neighbourhood
BREN aims to strengthen civil society and enhance the inclusion of women and marginalised groups in community decision-making processes.
BREN aims to strengthen civil society and enhance the inclusion of women and marginalised groups.
BREN was launched in October 2021 and, subject to funding, is expected to continue until March 2024. The project is supported by the Conflict, Stability and Security Fund of the United Kingdom and is implemented in partnership with the Global Network of Women Peacebuilders (GNWP).