Institute for War and Peace Reporting | Giving Voice, Driving Change
Panel Debate: International Trials Under Scrutiny
Main ICC premises in The Hague. (Photo: Vincent van Zeijst)
On February 12, the Institute for War & Peace Reporting and the Wayamo Communication Foundation will host a panel discussion on justice processes for mass crimes in Africa.
This is the sixth in a series of public debates hosted by IWPR and Wayamo under the ReportingKenya.net banner, and will feature Kenyan and international panellists including:
- Serge Brammertz, Prosecutor at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
- Macharia Gaitho, Managing Editor for Special Projects at Nation Media Group and Chair of the Kenya Editors’ Guild.
- Evans Monari, Advocate of the High Court of Kenya; Partner, Daly & Figgis Advocates; former ICC counsel for Mohammed Hussein Ali.
- Betty Murungi, Chairperson of Akiba Uhaki Foundation and Vice-Chair of the Kenya Human Rights Commission.
- Alex Whiting, Professor of Practice, Harvard Law School.
The panel discussion is open to the general public and will begin at 10:00 at the Strathmore University Auditorium (address & directions) Moderator Bettina Ambach, Director of the Wayamo Foundation, will invite the audience to ask questions and make comments throughout the debate. The debate will be streamed live at ReportingKenya.net. A light lunch will be served at 13:00.
The panel discussion will feature a range of opinions on international courts and their impact in Africa, and will be introduced by Dr. Luis Franceschi, Dean of Strathmore Law School.
- Is support for international criminal justice in decline?
- Do perceptions of justice in Africa differ from those in other parts of the world?
- Has the international community focused too much on prosecutions at the expense of other transitional justice mechanisms?
Bettina Ambach, Director, Wayamo Foundation: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. 0733233876
Judie Kaberia, IWPR/Wayamo coordinator: email@example.com, tel. 0722235739
Simon Jennings, Africa Editor, IWPR: Simon@iwpr.net
Follow the debate on Twitter at @IWPRKenya and hashtag #ICCDebate
- Europe & Eurasia
- Latin America
- Middle East & North Africa
- Focus Pages
- Training & Resources
- Print Publications
- IWPR Spotlight