Institute for War and Peace Reporting | Giving Voice, Driving Change

Briefly Noted

By Chris Stephen in The Hague (TU 333, 15 November 2003)
By IWPR

But the report also said Serb war crimes courts, which have convicted 16 defendants, need to be supported by more political will.


THE SECOND-HIGHEST sentence imposed by the Hague, 46 years, will come up for appeal later this month in the case of former Bosnian Serb general Radislav Krstic.


Krstic was the tribunal's first genocide conviction. He was found guilty of responsibility for the Srebrenica massacre of 1995. Prosecutors want the sentence extended to life, while the defence is likely to ask for a retrial.


THE GENERAL once known as the Knight of Mostar, Momcilo Perisic of Serbia, former chief of staff of the Yugoslav armed forces, said this week he had been in touch with the Hague tribunal but refused to say more.


Perisic is blamed by some for masterminding the JNA bombardment of Mostar, in Bosnia, in 1992.


THE UNITED STATES Senate has voted for a law to cut aid to Serbia from March 1 next year, unless General Ratko Mladic is handed over to The Hague.


The decision will become law if the Senate and the House of Representatives agree on the decision next week and if President Bush ratifies the law. America provides about 100 million US dollars in aid, but other grants from the IMF and World Bank could also be affected.


Chris Stephen is IWPR tribunal programme manager.


More IWPR's Global Voices