Institute for War and Peace Reporting | Giving Voice, Driving Change
The Institute for War & Peace Reporting (IWPR) is an independent not-for profit organisation that works with media and civil society to promote positive change in conflict zones, closed societies, and countries in transition around the world. For this role, IWPR seeks a seasoned international development professional with technical program skills to oversee and implement projects in Iraq. The Deputy Program Manager is responsible for implementing training and campaigns, administering sub-awards, maintaining communication with local and international partners, and exploring new business. This individual also ensures that the project delivers the quality and quantity of stories/social media content required under various campaigns or hashtags, and ensures compliance with company, government, and donor requirements.
In This Role You Will:
- Implement and manage programs, to include: designing mechanisms for the implementation of all activities and staff management; monitoring program finances; identifying benchmarks for progress; ensuring that objectives are achieved within deadlines and budgets; completing all reports and documentation required by the project.
- Manage operations, activities, and staff, to include: planning and coordinating workflows; supervising and training staff; making recommendations concerning personnel actions; ensuring adherence to corporate HR policies, procedures, and schedules; ensuring that security protocols are followed to assist with the safety of staff and property.
- Collaborate with Program Director to ensure clarity around long-term programming, operational, and funding requirements.
- Represent IWPR at partner and donor meetings to ensure smooth project implementation.
- Ensure a work environment that is non-discriminatory and promotes open dialogue on gender-related and culturally sensitive issues.
- Work with Program Director on new business development and project proposals.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Bachelor’s degree in management, international development or related field; minimum eight years of project management experience in an international nonprofit communications and media environment (including budgets and staff), preferably in a developing country; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- In-depth knowledge of donor compliance and interaction (US, UK, EU).
- Demonstrated success in achieving financial and contractual results.
- Extremely familiar with social media as a campaign tool, editing and reporting in print or online journalism, developing content, and copyediting.
- Proven video and social media production background.
- Demonstrated success in leading and managing teams with diverse backgrounds working in multiple locations to achieve and sustain excellence
- Proven strategic planner and team leader with strong technical knowledge, conceptual and analytical ability, good judgment, and adaptive, flexible capacity.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building competencies coupled with strong written and verbal communication skills. Capable of managing conflict and conflicting views.
- High levels of energy and creativity, with intellectual depth and high ethical standards.
- Fluency in English and Arabic, both written and verbal.
- Ability to manage campaigns and work closely with the editorial team
- Excellent report-writing skills. Ability to analyze and distill complex narrative and financial information.
- Advanced proficiency in computers, software, spreadsheet and finance management packages.
Principals only. No calls please. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. Only those who have been selected for interviews will be contacted. IWPR will never ask for payment for recruitment.
This position description is not an exhaustive list of all functions that the incumbent is expected to perform, but is instead a summary of the primary responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbent may be asked to perform duties not included in this position description. IWPR reserves the right to revise position descriptions at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities. Staff will be informed of any changes to their job responsibilities.