Institute for War and Peace Reporting | Giving Voice, Driving Change
The Institute for War & Peace Reporting (IWPR) is an independent not-for profit organisation that works with media and civil society to promote positive change in conflict zones, closed societies, and countries in transition around the world. This position will ensure the development of CABAR's (cabar.asia) analytical materials in digital and new media formats. This includes developing, commissioning, editing, fact-checking, and proof-reading analytical materials from contributors; providing editorial feedback; managing the day-to-day dissemination of analytical content; and ensuring editorial communication and administration.
In This Role You Will:
- Prepare analytic materials in digital and new media formats on critical issues relating to the Central Asian (CA) region and based on the needs of the website audience;
- Be responsible for Quality of Content – ensuring the high quality of the website content in terms of accuracy, validity, reliability, credibility, authority, readability, and relevance to the CABAR.asia mission;
- Cooperate closely with local and international experts and the IWPR CA team to ensure production of high quality content;
- Manage the workflow, editing, and publishing of analytical materials;
- Perform initial review of submitted analytical materials to determine if they meet CABAR.asia policy and requirements;
- Develop a final publication after agreement with IWPR CA Editorial Board;
- Propose the topics of analytical materials and schedule them for publication;
- Manage the day-to-day dissemination of the website's information to partner media outlets, social media and among the partners;
- Monitor and report on the progress of the CABAR.asia analytical platform including qualitative and quantitative indicators;
- Provide information for internal and external reporting as required;
- Maintain an archive of analytical articles and correspondence with the authors;
- Maintain an author database containing contact details and payment information, and ensure payment of fees through regional offices and other means;
- Provide mentorship and support for young analytical experts, interns; organize trainings if applicable;
- Promote CABAR.asia among audiences and partner organizations in the CA region and internationally.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- MA or MSc in a field relevant to international development or communication;
- Three or more years of work with direct editorial production responsibilities, including writing, editing, proofing, managing design and layout of reports and briefs;
- Advanced Russian and English-language writing and editing skills;
- Fluency in at least one of CA countries language is desirable;
- Record publication on Central Asia development issues;
- Previous experience in analytical articles editing;
- An excellent working knowledge of IT and all applications relating to the new media formats (data visualization and analysing tools/ software);
- Analytical thinking skills, including the ability to simplify and distil the essence of complex problems and processes;
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to get one's message understood clearly by adopting a range of methods appropriate to each audience and the nature of the information;
- Teamwork and cooperation skills, including the ability to work in a co-operative manner with others, to be part of the team, work together as opposed to working separately or competitively.
Principals only. No calls please. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. Only those who have been selected for interviews will be contacted. IWPR will never ask for payment for recruitment.
This position description is not an exhaustive list of all functions that the incumbent is expected to perform, but is instead a summary of the primary responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbent may be asked to perform duties not included in this position description. IWPR reserves the right to revise position descriptions at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities. Staff will be informed of any changes to their job responsibilities.