Institute for War and Peace Reporting | Giving Voice, Driving Change
IWPR's office in Washington, DC seeks a recent college graduate with one or two years of accounting experience who is ready to learn new ways of doing things and is excited to contribute to the Institute's mission. Long hours may be involved, so a strong work ethic and good humour are required. Familiarity with the nonprofit and/or international sector is helpful, particularly experience with US government grants. For someone with initiative, dedication, and a keen eye for detail, this could be the road to a fulfilling, purpose-driven career.
The Accounting/Finance Assistant performs financial and accounting functions in line with standard accounting procedures and provides reliable information to control operations to make informed business decisions. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, inputting and tracking expenses and donations and assisting with the annual audit process, grant financial reporting, general ledger reconciliations, and monthly expense allocations.
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field and at least one year of professional experience in accounting (ideally in an international nonprofit setting);
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting principles and practices, US government regulations, and multi-currency accounting highly desirable;
- Understanding of financial P&L;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills;
- Understanding of Google docs and Microsoft software;
- Detail orientation, ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, and strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent customer service attitude;
- Ability to work independently and in team environment;
- Fluency in English. Capabilities in a second language preferred.
Principals only. No calls please. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. Only those who have been selected for interviews will be contacted. IWPR will never ask for payment for recruitment.
This position description is not an exhaustive list of all functions that the incumbent is expected to perform, but is instead a summary of the primary responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbent may be asked to perform duties not included in this position description. IWPR reserves the right to revise position descriptions at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities. Staff will be informed of any changes to their job responsibilities.