Institute for War and Peace Reporting | Giving Voice, Driving Change
Founded in 1991 to support local activists and journalists in the collapsing Yugoslavia who stood against rising intolerance and hate speech, IWPR has grown into an independent not-for-profit organization that works with media and civil society to promote positive change in closed, in conflict and in transitioning societies worldwide. From home offices in the United States and The Netherlands, and our global headquarters in London, we work on the ground in more than two dozen of the world’s most challenging environments.
Reporting to the Controller, you will support the financial needs of our US-based office and international projects in such areas as: general ledger and accounts receivable, payroll, budget and audit, reconciliations, month-end close and financial reporting. You will ensure that proper accounting and internal controls are followed. You will act as backup for accounts payable as required.
As the successful candidate, you will possess:
- Advanced knowledge of accounting principles, US accounting standards (GAAP), international non-profit accounting practices, USG rules and regulations and budgets, and familiarity with non-USG donor requirements (EU and UK).
- Solid knowledge of payroll and accounting software packages such as MIP, ADP and QuickBooks. Proven ability to effectively use Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
- Strong GL reconciliation abilities.
- Excellent critical thinking skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to work independently and in a team in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressure.
- Proven discretion and professionalism.
- Fluency in English, written and oral.
- Accuracy, attention to detail.
The minimum qualifications for this role are:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Minimum two years of progressively more responsible experience in international not-for-profit accounting including payroll. Solid experience with ADP software, MIP or similar accounting package preferable.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
Principals only. No calls please. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. Only those who have been selected for interviews will be contacted. IWPR will never ask for payment for recruitment.
This position description is not an exhaustive list of all functions that the incumbent is expected to perform, but is instead a summary of the primary responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbent may be asked to perform duties not included in this position description. IWPR reserves the right to revise position descriptions at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities. Staff will be informed of any changes to their job responsibilities.