RFQ: Translation Services | Institute for War and Peace Reporting
Institute for War & Peace Reporting (IWPR), Washington DC, invites your firm to participate in this competitive solicitation for pricing, delivery, and terms of translation services as per the below ToR for IWPR’s office in Washington DC.
IWPR is an independent, non-governmental organization. IWPR’s is the sub-grantor and sub-award administrator of the U.S. Department of State’s Information Access Fund’s (IAF).
- It is IWPR’s intention to issue the contract as presented herein the RFQ documents. Therefore, offerors should ensure any due diligence regarding the legal review and ability to be compliant to all contract terms and conditions is undertaken prior to the submission of your quotation. Submission of a quotation will be confirmation of accepting IWPR contract included herein.
- At any time prior to the deadline for the submission of quotations, IWPR may, for any reason, whether at its own initiative or in response to a clarification requested by a supplier, modify the RFQ by way of a written amendment. All suppliers that have received the RFQ shall be notified in writing of any such amendments. In order to offer suppliers reasonable time to take any such amendments into account in preparing their quotations, IWPR may, at its discretion, extend the deadline for the submission.
- Deadline for submission of quotations: Noon EST Wednesday, April 15. This is an absolute deadline, Quotation received after this date and time will be disqualified.
- Method of submission: Quotations should be submitted to email@example.com cc firstname.lastname@example.org by the date and time of the deadline given.
- Eligibility: by submitting an offer in response to this RFQ, the offeror certifies that it and its principal officers are not debarred, suspended, or otherwise considered ineligible for an award by the U.S. Government. IWPR will not award a contract to any company and/or individual that are debarred, suspended, or considered to be ineligible by the U.S. Government.
- Period of time quotes must be valid: 90 days.
- Expected Delivery date: rapid translation of key documents depending on project needs, length and complexity of the documents. Expected timeline is described in the attached ToR. We expect to contract the awarded firm through a Framework Agreement which will set out terms and conditions under which specific purchases/translations will be made throughout the term of the contract.
- IWPR will require offerors to participate in a trial translation of an 800-word document of its choice for no renumeration. The translated document will not be publicly distributed.
Total price must include all taxes and fees, in US Dollar, and should be expressed in a per unit basis (800 or 2000 words with urgent versus routine timelines for global versus niche languages), based on the services and needs listed in the ToR below.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
The evaluation of each response to this RFQ will be based on the vendor’s demonstrated competence in producing high-quality translations in a wide variety of languages, responsiveness, and experience. The purpose of this RFQ is to identify product/service providers that have the interest, capability, and financial strength to supply IWPR with the product/service requested.
Selection will be based on price, quality of product/service, and vendor experience. All quotes will be evaluated and scored based on the following criteria:
- Price (20%) – vendors should provide quotes for translations of 800 words and 2000 in global as well as niche languages with urgent versus routine timelines; all pricing should include cost of initial translation and editorial review.
- Delivery time (20%) – vendors should outline timeline for urgent versus routine taskings.
- Full compliance to minimum quality requirements listed in the ToR below (20%).
- Qualifications and experience of proposed staff/personnel (20%).
- Comprehensiveness of after-sales services (20%).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The Request for Quotes is not and shall not be considered an offer by IWPR.
- All responses must be received on or before the date and time indicated on the RFQ. All late responses will be rejected.
- All unresponsive quotes will be rejected.
- All quotes will be considered binding offers. Prices quoted must be valid for entire period provided by respondent.
- All procurement will be subject to IWPR contractual terms and conditions and contingent on the availability of donor funding.
- IWPR reserves the right to accept or reject any quotation or cancel the procurement process at any time, without assigning any reason, and shall have no liability to any vendors submittingn RFQs for such rejection or cancellation of the procurement.
- IWPR reserves the right to accept all or part of the quotation when awarding the purchase order/contract.
- All information provided by IWPR in this RFQ is offered in good faith. Individual items are subject to change at any time and all bidders will be provided with notification of any changes. IWPR is not responsible or liable for any use of the information submitted by bidders or for any claims asserted therefrom.
- IWPR reserves the right to require any bidder to enter into a non-disclosure agreement.
- The bidders are solely obligated to pay for all costs, of any kind whatsoever, which may be incurred by bidder or any third parties, in connection with the Response. All Responses and supporting documentation shall become the property of IWPR, subject to claims of confidentiality in respect of the Response and supporting documentation, which have been clearly marked confidential by the bidder.
FORM/CONTENT OF RESPONSE
All quotations shall:
- Be in the English language.
- Contain detailed quotation with cost in US Dollars, with applicable Tax/Charges clearly identified, and provided against each of the categories of services described in the ToR.
- Provide requested payment terms and conditions.
- Describe the qualifications, experience and capabilities of the firm in providing the type of services being request by this RFQ.
- Provide at least 3 references for similar procurements with a description of the work done and the dates performed.
- Include a contact name, email address, and telephone number to facilitate communication between IWPR and the vendor.
- A brief outline of the company and services offered, including:
- Full legal name, jurisdiction of incorporation, and address of the company;
- Full legal name and country of citizenry of company’s President and / or Chief Executive Officer and / or all other officers and senior managers of the company;
- Company profile including year business was established and after sales services offered;
- CVs of the main translators in service.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Questions regarding this request may be addressed to email@example.com cc firstname.lastname@example.org, and must be received no later than 10 days after the publication of this RFQ. Responses to questions will be distributed to all interested parties no later than 5 working days.
End of RFQ
TERMS OF REFERENCE (ToR)
Contract Services outlined below will allow for rapid translation of key documents into a range of global languages, including Arabic, Urdu, Sinhala, Zwangyi, Khmer, Thai, Indonesian, Malay, Cambodian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Russian, and other languages as needed.
The translation service provider must be able to translate key documents in a wide range of languages within set timelines based on the length and complexity of the documents. The resulting translations must use authentic and current language and be of high enough quality for immediate distribution in target language to a variety of audiences, including the general public, media, research and academic experts, and government officials. In line with standards set elsewhere for similar work, a translator should provide a translation of 2000 words within 8 hours and 3 hours for 800 words. The translation service provider should then conduct a quality control and editorial review to ensure the product returned to meets high standards for accuracy and authenticity. The service provider will also maintain a glossary for each language so that the correct terminology is used in each translation.
Targeted languages may change overtime but as of now include: Arabic, Urdu, Sinhala, Indonesian, Malay, Zwangyi, Khmer, Thai, Cambodian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Russian. Deliverables will include high-quality translation within agreed upon deadlines of a variety of articles, speeches, reports and other written products. Document length, turnaround time and target language will be varied.
SCOPE OF SERVICES (TASKS/ACTIVITIES)
- Maintain an active global network of vetted translators.
- As tasks are identified, identify translators and quality control editors and provide a reasonable timeline by which a task can be completed.
- Provide accurate and authentic translations of reports, statements, white papers and other documents as needed.
- Conduct quality control of the initial translation to ensure the product meets high standards of accuracy, authenticity and current language used in the target country.
- Maintain a glossary of key terms for target languages and regularly add to that glossary as posts review and provide feedback on products.
- Ensure a customer service representative is available during core Washington DC working hours to respond to queries and taskings.
- The offeror must maintain professional confidentiality on translated materials.
- Provide rapid translations of key documents on a wide range of topics and in a variety of languages, including but not limited to Arabic, Urdu, Sinhala, Zwangyi, Khmer, Indonesian, Malay, Thai, Cambodian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Russian.
- Coordinate and conduct quality control of initial documents to ensure final products meet a high standard of authenticity and accuracy in target languages.
- Excellent coordination and customer service skills.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in translation services including document translation and proofreading. The quality of service must be such as to enable the translated text to be used immediately, whether by publication or otherwise.
- Experience in providing translation services for multi-national organizations, inter-government organizations, business companies, and the U.S. Department of State is an advantage.
- A global network of professional translators with experience translating research and news articles related to foreign policy, economics, diplomatic relations, public affairs and social issues.
- Evidences on past achievement and work portfolio / at least 3 references for similar services.
- The offeror may be asked to provide the final version of an assignment incorporating corrections made by IWPR. This work has to be carried out within a reasonable time period and with no additional remuneration.
- Offeror will be required to adapt to any formatting or software required by IWPR, and to do so within a reasonable period of time.
- Offeror must ensure the confidentiality of communications and text translated.
End of ToR
As coronavirus sweeps the globe, IWPR’s network of local reporters, activists and analysts are examining the economic, social and political impact of this era-defining pandemic.