Senior Media Trainers, Ukraine
Contract type: Consultant
Input: We are creating a talent pool of experts who can be called upon to undertake consultancy work on our Ukraine projects.
Start date: Varied but could be as soon as October 2022. There will be an ongoing requirement for expertise over the course of our projects.
IWPR is undertaking a range of initiatives in Ukraine focused on strengthening the capacity of Ukrainian journalists to safely, effectively and professionally report from the frontlines to increase audience access to balanced, independent information.
This initiative includes providing a range of mentoring and training support to journalists and fixers most at need in Ukraine, particularly on physical and digital safety and security, combatting and building resilience to disinformation, and conflict and gender sensitive reporting. IWPR is currently implementing four projects in Ukraine, including Ukraine Voices, supported by the UK Government’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), with additional projects expected to begin in late 2022.
To serve its ongoing and expanding capacity building programming, IWPR is seeking short-term consultancies by Senior Media Trainers and Mentors to provide training and mentoring activities both in person in the Ukraine (primarily Lviv and Kyiv) and also online. These would be provided to Ukrainian journalists located both inside and outside of the country.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct a needs assessment to identify training needs and capacities of participating journalists to inform the design of tailored training and development programmes;
- Design and develop tailored training and mentoring programmes for participants;
- Provide face-to-face and remote mentoring support to journalists and fixers;
- Organize and deliver in-person and/or online training workshops and events on such subjects as physical and digital safety and security, conflict and gender sensitive reporting, disinformation, open-source investigations (OSINT), media sustainability, and other subjects as determined via the participant capacity needs assessment.
- Coordinate with IWPR’s M&E advisor to develop an M&E plan and evaluate the outcomes of the training and mentoring sessions.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A minimum of seven years of experience in media and media development;
- Extensive networks of contacts within the Ukrainian media sector;
They will also be
- Fluent in Ukrainian and English (other languages considered an asset); and have
- Experience conducting training and mentoring programmes in Ukraine.
IWPR is an equal opportunities employer, committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership. We encourage applications from suitably qualified candidates from a wide range of backgrounds who can help continue to evolve our culture and contribute to an inclusive environment.
Principals only. No calls please. Only those who have been selected for interviews will be contacted. IWPR will never ask for payment for recruitment.