Local Editor, Ukraine
Contract Start Date: Early or mid-November 2022.
Contract End Date: June 30, 2023.
Contract Type: Consultant - Full Time
IWPR seeks a local English-speaking Editor to plan, commission and revise analytical and informative materials, to ensure production, adaptation and amplifying Ukrainian-authored analytical content for European audiences and fulfil a number of related tasks, as and when required, to be delivered under IWPR’s MATRA-funded ‘Ukraine Forward: Amplifying Analysis’ project.
This is a new and exciting role suitable for a local English-speaking editor with strong experience in development of socio-political and economic content and analyses, focusing on foreign audiences, and working with think tanks, experts, opinion leaders and media.
The Ukraine Forward project will provide local voices with technical assistance in communications and editorial support with the goal of improving the quality of Ukrainian-authored content; increase its reach amongst international audiences; and provide local insights into the multifaceted dimensions of the war and its implications to international groups, especially in European Union states. In doing so, the project will facilitate connections between local and international expert communities to increase representation of Ukrainian voices in international coverage of the war and enable the country’s continued visibility on the international agenda. Ultimately, the project will bring Ukrainian expertise to the fore and support continued engagement with international audiences about the subject of the Russian aggression.
- Oversee content production by project partners and commissioned authors within the project goals;
- Develop ideas for content for various media channels, and create highly shareable content;
- Develop a content calendar based on communication strategy and project implementation plan;
- Conduct research on topics related to content areas of interest in order to create new content;
- Interact and coordinate with the project partners providing guidance in developing analytical and informative content, and including relevant content messages.
- Set content standards and establish goals and expectations;
- Commission, review, proofread and edit articles and multimedia productions;
- Ensure delivery of additional aspects of publication production process, including searching for and commissioning relevant multimedia components (photo, video, audio, photo-essays);
- Reformat materials, write headlines and summaries to share and promote through social media channels;
- Organise appropriate translation for output, as needed, and evaluate English language and translation quality;
- Assist journalists and contributors with supplementary research if necessary.
- Modify written content from partners and put into a format that is easy to comprehend by foreign target audiences;
- Conduct interviews with experts on topics relevant to the project;
- Adhere to journalism professional standards and best practices;
- Submit programmatic reporting on the content production activities;
- Compile materials for IWPR’s global communication channels;
- Report to Ukraine Project Manager based in Kyiv.
The successful candidate will have:
- University degree in journalism and/or communication, or equivalent education and experience;
- At least 5 years’ experience as a content editor or analytical content writer;
- Proven track of editing materials related to the socio-political and economic situation in the country;
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills;
- Experience of adapting analytical products for foreign audiences, and the further distribution of them through the project's communication channels;
- English, Ukrainian and Russian fluency, with strong ability to communicate clearly and concisely in writing in all languages;
- Ability to give constructive feedback to writers, partner entities and project team;
- Experience with multimedia editing and content management systems is a plus;
- Ability to meet deadlines and budget requirements;
- Advanced computer skills and experience in handling of web-based management and communication systems;
- Strong communication, liaison and interpersonal skills to work effectively with people at all levels;
- An eye for detail along with critical thinking;
- Prioritising and multitasking;
- Conceptual creative abilities.
IWPR is an equal opportunities employer, committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership. We encourage applications from suitably qualified candidates from a wide range of backgrounds who can help continue to evolve our culture and contribute to an inclusive environment.
Principals only. No calls please. Only those who have been selected for interviews will be contacted. IWPR will never ask for payment for recruitment.